On this page I'll report on changes to my web site or related news items.
Don't expect a full-blown weblog, more like a list of highlights in shorthand.
10.0.2 has been released.
This new version can generate scripts for WMI queries in PHP
, besides the list of languages it already supported.
• After writing the batch and VBScript code, yesterday, I just couldn't resist writing a PowerShell version too: IsCDWriter.ps1
Unlike the VBScript version, which accepts any number of drive letters plus an optional remote computer name, the PowerShell script accepts either a single drive letter or no command line argument at all.
• After writing the batch code, I had to write a VBScript version too, of course: IsCDWriter.vbs
is a new script to detect a file's text encoding by checking its Byte Order Mark
I also added it to a new page on file encoding detection
in the VBScript Techniques
Don't expect the script to tell you that a file is ANSI (ASCII) encoded, as ANSI does not
use a Byte Order Mark!
Plain ANSI text will be listed as "Unknown", as will binary files.
• I added a page on file encoding detection
in the Batch Techniques
This brilliantly simple technique by jaclaz
is based on the fact that a
loop will abort if the text file
contains ASCII 0 characters:
FOR /F %%A IN (%1) DO (ECHO ANSI&GOTO:EOF)
• I added a paragraph on using WMI in PHP
The next version of WMIGen
will be able to generate PHP code for WMI queries.
• I added a page on wildcards
in batch commands, and how they may get you into trouble.
• If Amazon's Kindle Reader for PC is allowed to automatically update, it may install updates in the user profile, instead of the Program Files directory.
To me, this is an absolute no-no!
So I disabled its auto update feature and scheduled CheckKindleUpdate.vbs
to notify me if an update is available.
||page last uploaded: 2017-08-18, 13:09