Getting started with Perl scripting
- The interpreter is the "engine" that executes scripts.
Download ActiveState's ActivePerl.
- Development software:
- EDIT (MS-DOS), Notepad (Windows), E (OS/2), or any other ASCII editor will do.
Basically, a Perl script is just an ASCII text file with a ".pl" extension, containing the Perl code.
A more "advanced" editor or IDE does help make scripting a lot easier.
- Help files:
- Available as online web manual.
- I compiled a "list" of books on Perl scripting, and there are many more available.
- Start by examining sample Perl scripts and exploring other Perl related sites.
page last uploaded: 2018-12-20, 10:49