Getting Started with ADSI Scripting
- Operating System:
- Any Windows version that supports Active Directory, and of course, an Active Directory. Because of the huge impact ADSI script may have, use a test domain or forest to prevent disasters.
- ADSI is not limited to a single language or interpreter, but can be used in several languages.
- Client software:
- The ADSI client software is installed by default on "domain members" with Windows ME/2000 and later versions.
For Windows 95/98/NT 4 install the Active Directory Extension for Windows NT 4.0 (yes, this is also suited for Windows 95/98).
- Development software:
- As far as I know, at this moment only one ADSI query generator is available: the ADSI Scriptomatic.
My own ADSITest HTA can assist you in testing and debugging your ADSI queries.
- Help files:
- Read Microsoft's online Active Directory Service Interfaces Quick-start Tutorials.
And use Microsoft's online Active Directory Service Interfaces Reference.
- I compiled a short list of books on ADSI.
- Start by examining sample ADSI scripts and exploring other ADSI related sites.
page last uploaded: 2019-02-21, 09:58